Kevin & Theresa Miller

Steve Bak wrote:
Yesterday I noticed someone cutting down an Alder tree. They said I can
take any of it I wish. Since I won't be able to try it for a few weeks I
thought I'd ask if this would be any good for woodturning. Any advice?
Also, if anyone is near Derby, UK and wants some, mail me. There are
about 40 pieces 4" to 12" dia, up to 5ft long. I think there is also
some Poplar mixed in there.

As an aside, there is also a piece of Poplar 40" dia (yes, about 3.5
feet diamieter) about 10ft long which might be a bit heavy for most
cars? :-)

Steve

Alder isn't great, but it's OK. It can have some nice figure, similar to cherry
at times, and some has really nice chatoyance, but the end grain tears out a lot
- it's pretty soft wood. It's about 75% of what I turn, as that's mostly what
grows around here. Sometimes spalts up nicely. Burns better than spruce or
hemlock which are the predominate woods here. If it's free it's worth taking
it, unless you have a ready supply of better woods...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska