Bob Minchin

Default Fridge questions

Abso wrote in message ...
Hi all, sorry I only post here when I've got a question to ask, but I
don't know much about diy, so I don't have much to contribute.. (

Latest one is that my fridge seems to have a burning ambition to be a
freezer, ie. the motor runs continuously and my carrots stored in the
bottom drawer are looking mighty frozen. I've done the obvious and
turned the dial down (not that it had been turned up to start with, but
no joy).

IMHO this points to a duff thermostat so I'll be getting a quote for a
replacement, but does anyone know how much it's likely to be? It's a
pretty bog standard Zanussi Freezone (model ZFT56RL).

How easy is it to replace a thermostat, anyway? I'm hoping it's just
an unplug and replug job.

A new fridge is looking like around 150 GBP from Comet and they also
want to charge me 15 quid to take my old one away.. Are there cheaper
alternatives? (No, not throwing it in a field, I mean would the
council maybe take it for less?). TIA..!

--
Abso [at] ukrm [dot] net - Ignore header email address

The uk.people.consumers.ebay FAQ is at upce.org.uk

"hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?"

new stats are relatively cheap from CPC. there a few generic types according
to the type of defrost system used by your fridge, whether or not you have
an icebox etc. virtually all types are less than a tenner plus vat. The
electrica connections are normally push fit and your will need to clip the
capilliary to the same place as the old one.

To stop the big freeze whilst you get a new stat, use a plug in timeswitch
set to run the fridge for say half an hour every hour and a half to 2 hours
extending the off time over night when the door will not be being opened.

Quite an easy job

Good Luck

Bob