Tony Hwang

Krystonia5 wrote:
My garage door is acting strange, and it's about 14 years old, so I plan to
replace it. Can someone help with the following questions?

1. What brands do you recommend?
2. Where's the best place to buy (Cosco, Home Depot, Sears, etc)?
3. How many horsepower do I need?

I have a 2-car garage, with a door that rolls up, sheet metal, no insulation.

In case anybody recommends fixing a 14 year old garage door rather than
replacing, here's the symptoms (it's a Stanley brand opener with chain drive):

A couple of days ago, the door started not shutting all the way. The first day
it left a 1" gap, then the 2nd day about 2". On the 3rd day, when I was
closing it, it only closed half way and then opened again, and it opened beyond
the stop and the door actually hit the drive mechanism but I stopped it before
it damaged the door. Can this type of problem be a simple re-calibration
problem? I doubt it, and i'm afraid i'll damage the door or cause an unsafe
situation if i just try to mess with it until it "seems" to work.

thanks!
Paul

Hi,
over the 14 years, have you done anything?
Limit switches, chain streches over time, lubrication, etc.
Also check the sprockets, and springs.
Tony