igor

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:01:57 -0000, (Michael Houghton)
wrote:

I'm in the same boat; the (so-called) pantry is a frickin closet, and
stuff was always getting in the back and forgotten and hard to get
out.

We've yanked out the crappy wire shelves the builder put in and have
pondered what to do next. I'll rip out the door-frame to put in
drawers, if I have to, but I like the "Wooden Pantry Organizers" linked
to above, at least in concept. My problem is that I'm about a half inch
shy on the lateral space to put in the double shelves, so I'm still
dithering.

One cabinet I saw at Lowes that had the same sort of fittings used a
piano hinge to support the swinging cabinets. The Rockler offering
appears to use (effectively) knife hinges top and bottom.

I'm trying to figure out if I can (and will) fabricate such myself. The
trick is supporting the weight reliably...

Depending on how much room you would lose (such as if the ceiling in the
closet is much higher than the door frame), you might consider vertical
drawers. 3" - 8" wide, 5' - 6' high (with a drawer at the bottom to make
up the difference and get some toe-kick space). I love 'em -- especially
for canned stuff. Adjustable shelves in each drawer. (One fixed shelf in
the middle to help with structure.) If the closet is extra deep, you could
have a "thick" pantry door with 6" shelves on it, and then the vertical
drawers inside. FWIW. -- Igor