Dave

What I would do is to seal up ancy celing cracks for draightproofing,
lay existing rockwool back , couner batten, and lay another layer at
right angles.

How does this cross battening affect the strength of the ceiling joists?
Elsewhere in the ng there is a suggestion that the original ceiling joist
(name?) are only just capable of holding up the plaster board ceiling.

Reason I ask, is that I am about to put more loft insulation and less junk
up there myself, at long last. :-))

I have also talked someone else out of boarding his modern loft with chip
board, but to use normal floor boarding instead if he must go ahead with
this idea of boarding. After all, it is a lot lighter.

Dave