Jerry Built

Default Garden fence posts

Mortimer wrote:
I common with many others I expect, my garden fence posts have rotted
at ground level and snapped.Over the years I have tried various things
such as hammering angle iron as close as possible into ground next to
posts and screwing good section to those. Also tried meta-posts in a
couple of places - work for some months then next high winds and
everything is moving around again. The posts were originally set into
quite large concrete blocks/balls so my next idea is to remove the
posts and panels,clear the tops of the concrete and using a kango
hammer open up the square hole in the concrete where the post has
rotted away to about twice its' size now.

I doubt you'll be able to do this, not to any depth, anyway. It would
be an b- of a job. I should think you'd be best advised to:

Dig out or smash up the old concrete. Remove it.

Ram (sub) soil down hard into the holes left using a baulk of timber
as a rammer. Put a little soil in, ram down, repeat 'till full.

Re-do the hole using a graft (a long narrow spade) or a border spade.

Insert new concrete post (slotted or TZ depending on fence type) OR
onsert concrete stub.

Fill in around post (or stub) with weak concrete. Bolt on new
timber posts if you've used concrete stubs.

Re-construct fence.

Apply weathering compound to concrete post if necessary.

This plan is an alternative to having the whole job done professionally
as that could be expensive.

It's not a hard job to re-do, but be prepared to take a little time
over it, and you'll get a good job.

J.B.