Bill

What the FHA does via these "required repairs" is to force people to buy
homes which are more expensive than they can afford.

Many people can't afford to live in a "perfect home" or a brand new home.

The homes which lower income people can afford do not qualify for FHA loans
due to required repairs being needed!

Seems silly to me. I think the FHA should point out defects, yet make
repairs optional. Some people are good at making their own repairs and can
do so themselves for a lot less than paying a contractor or paying more for
a house up front, then paying interest on the additional cost for 30 years.

So you have a young handy type person renting and having to pay rent
increases each year. The young person can afford a "fixer-upper", but not a
home in perfect condition. It would make more sense for this person to buy
a fixer-upper, have a basically fixed payment for the rest of his life,
then he could slowly make repairs to his home.