nightjar

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
JK wrote in message ...
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"JK" wrote in message

In a victorian house of standard construction with an apex roof, how
much
weight can one put in the loft? I have a bunch of old books and tapes
I'd
like to hide, but I've never had a loft before...don't wantthe ceiling
coming down.

In all probability, you should be careful of simply walking around up
there.
The joists were usually just strong enough to hold up the ceiling and
not
always strong enough to do that.

Colin Bignell

Thanks, both of you, it's as I thought. Now I can explain to the
management that we have to keep the books under the bed!

I'm afraid youve been quite misinformed today. This is explained fully
in another thread.... see if I can find it...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ing.google.com
The thread's called loft costs

Unless they have been underdrawn or otherwise strengthened, Victorian houses
will have lath and plaster ceilings, which, by now, tend to be held up as
much by habit as anything else. It does not need the ceiling to change shape
by much for them to decide to give up the habit and fall into the room
below.

Colin Bignell