Lurch

Default Which Biscuit Jointer?

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:57:38 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Lurch wrote:

I don't know what other tools you've got in your collection but I use
a biscuit joiner attachment for my router. A lot cheaper and takes up
less space.

Yup - tried that - but I found it is just not the same as the real
thing. There are several pitfalls using the router cutter I found:

1) The biggest limitation is that the diameter of the cutter is too
small to cut the right size rebate for the biscuit in one hit. Hence you
have plunge into the work and then slide the router to elongate the slot
to the right size for the biscuit which is a bit hit and miss compared
to the ability to set the biscuit size on the dial and then "plunge in"
and "move on" like you can with the jointer.

True, if I used biscuits more often then I'd go for a seperate
machine.

2) The elongated slot cut with a router has a flat back to it which does
not match the profile of the biscuit - so you don't get the joint as
well located.

Never really thought of that. I don't find it a real problem though,
as long as the biscuit fits, it'll hold when the glue dries!

3) You are more likely to damage the work because you always have to
remember that the cutter is exposed - hence you need to position the
router ready to be slid into the edge of the work making sure that you
do not try and pass through anything solid on the way to the starting
position! (not a problem if used on a table rather than hand-held however)

True, see response to 1)

4) Using the router is slower (because of above)

5) Accuracy is poorer with the router cutter - the fence design on a
jointer makes it simple to get opposing biscuit cuts in perfect
alignment - draw a pencil line across the joint where you want a biscuit
- then line it up with the centre mark on the jointer fence and plunge
once - repeat the other side - perfectly matched and aligned cuts.

I haven't had a problem with lining up biscuit slots.

Hence because of above I bought one of the cheapie Ferm ones. The first
one went back because when you locked the fence at the require depth it
pulled itself a little bit non square - hence you got biscuit slots at a
slight angle (approx 0.5mm lower at one end than the other). The
replacement seems much better although the switch design can be a bit
sticky! As other have said the use of dust extraction is very worth while.

That's one reason I haven't bought a seperate cutter, if I'm going to
buy one I would rather spend the money on a decent machine. Personally
I quite like Makita stuff, I've got a van and a garage full of the
stuff with the odd DeWalt thrown in here and there!
It was just a thought, obviously not particularly applicable in this
instance. ;-)

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.