Pat Barber

Pretty simple...create a template out of plywood by using
four sticks of wood with double side tape.

The template can be 1/4" plywood.
The "sticks" can be 3/4" plywood.

Bill Hylton explains the method in "Router Magic", but
the jist of the method is to "layout" the square by
trapping the base of the router inside a "box" created
by four sticks of wood.

You need to "limit" the forward motion of the router by
"stops"(the top of the fence and the bottom of the fence)
and "limit" the side to side motion of the router by the
stops on the side(two sides of the box). This creates a
piece of plywood with a square cut in it(the template).

Use the template to cut the square in the 1"x8"...

Eric Scantlebury wrote:

I need to route a square approx. 1 inch by 5 inches by 1/8 inches deep in a
piece of 10 foot 1x8. I have never tried to do this before.

I have a porter cable 691 with a plunge base and I set the depth guage up
and tried to "free hand" it on a test piece of lumber. Well - let's just
say that free handing is out of the question.

How should I do this to get a "perfect" square? I kind of figure I need a
"4 sided edge guide". An edge guide won't work on all sides as it won't
extend long enough into the board for two of the sides.

I'm at a loss.

TIA
Eric