Rob Morley

In article , "Simon"
says...
Rob Morley wrote in message et...

I suspect mine may turn out to have the same cause. That's why I was
rather hoping there might be some 'lubricant' I could use.

Someone already suggested talc.
Maybe raw linseed oil would do it too, or a liquid wax?

The trouble is, most lubricants dry out or otherwise dissipate, and
after a while the creaking returns. There would be nothing more
disheartening than to have new carpets fitted, and then all the
creaking kicks off again.

If you're going for fitted carpets you could replace the boards with
chipboard, otherwise you'll have easy access to renew the lubricant.