Jim Brown

"Leon" wrote in message om...
"Jim Brown" wrote in message
om...
Gentlemen and you know who you are,

I am building a countertop with alternating cherry and walnut strips
glued together. Due to the sink in the middle there will be some
water splashing around. I like the natural look of walnut and cherry
so no staining. Planning to use many coats of polyurethane for both
top and bottom surfaces. Water based or oil based? Anything better?
Since I have little experience with wood finishing, please do not skip
any steps you deem as obvious.

Peace.

Jim

Your do realize walnut and cherry being relative soft woods compared to the
usual wood used for counter tops will be very susceptible to dints and
dings? I should look great but I have to wonder how long.

This is a very good point and I thought about this for a while and
decided to go with it. I am hoping to get an uncommon look. Call me
a pervert if you will but I like stuff showing their age. Wife says
she won't be cutting on it and wont't place hot pots and pans on it.
We will see.