The Natural Philosopher

Cheesy Moments wrote:

Hi all

I am installing joist for new stairwell in extension.

I am trying to find out how to secure the trimmer joist to the wall.

Do I have to tie into the brickwork, or is there a hanger that I can use.

You can. but I wouldn't. They stretch a little, and you may end up a
little out of true, or worse still, creaking.

With stairs utter rigidity is the way to go. Either chase into the brick
and mount on a concrete pad AND use a hangar to avoid it being pulled
out, or use a post from below tied to the floor, and screw that soundly
to the wall as well.

I have a hanger for connecting the other end to the joist.

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Cheesy