Borrall Wonnell

Default Soldering question....strain relief

Hi all,

I am trying to add a surface mount phono (RCA) jack to an existing 12V
line. Unfortunately, the connection needs to handle some mechanical
stresses. I have switched the line from solid core wire to stranded
in an effort to reduce the stress, but the solder connection still
fatigues after a few mechanical cycles.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation for strain relief? I
have a limited amount of space to work with (perhaps 0.5"). Will
simple heat-shrink tubing help here? Will I need something more
robust (a thicker plastic sleeve perhaps)? Should I practice my
soldering technique?

FWIW, the wire I am using is 18 gauge.
Constructive comments will be appreciated!

Cheers,
Dave