Andy Dingley

Default Parks' Wagon Shop Special

Anyone know anything about one of these ante-diluvian combination
machines ?

It seems there's one nearby looking for a home, and there's a
possibility of converting it for use in chairmaking. This means
reworking the motor drive, rebuilding a few Babbitt bearings (which is
why I've been aproached) and probably abandoning the planer and
sawbench. This would leave a large bandsaw, a horizontal borer and a
horizontal round tenoner. I'll need to meet modern safety standards
for guarding, and quite probably a mechanical brake. I assume the
planer and sawbench are simply beyond hope for achieving this.

Google and the OWWM site have shown nothing on one of these, and
hardly anything on its cousin(?) the Planing Mill. Here in the UK
they're _really_ rare.

I was hoping to finally see a square-head planer, but as these things
were built in the '20s (?) I guess they're too late.