Bob G.

On 18 Oct 2004 09:56:44 -0700, (GTANNENB)
wrote:

My "Craftsman" Radial arm was purchased by me in the very early 70's
and it also does not have a "kit" available to qualify for the
recall.. Yes they will give you 100 bucks for the motor IF you return
it...then you have to haul the rest of the saw to the dump...not a
good deal in my opinion...

In other words it is worth more then a 100 bucks to me...

My saw still functions very well... I will admit that I "tune" it
every now and then and I also have not moved it off the 90 degree cut
mark in at least 10 years... BUT if makes a darn good cut off saw...so
good in fact that I have not purchased a CMS to replace it...not
enough bang for the buck so to speak although if I were now just
beginning to set up shop I would buy a CMS long before I would a
Radial Arm saw...

Sorry but I am NOT a fan of Roybi (nor am I a fan of new Craftsman)...
given the choice in my shop I would take the 10 in Sears saw hands
down without blinking an eyelid over the 8 1/2 in Roybi... BUT I HAVE
NO NEED FOR PORTABILITY...

Bob Griffiths

Hello,

I was given a circa 1970 Sears Radial Arm Saw that I am not sure what
to do with it. I researched it and it was recalled but there is no
repair kit for it. My options are to keep it and use it as is or
return the motor and get $100 for it. The saw is in working condition
but has a light coat of rust on it as it has been sitting in a
basement for 5 years and not used during that time.

I am a fairly newbie to woodworking and I already have a approximately
10 year old Ryobi 8 1/4 inch RAS that is more portable that this saw.
Is this saw almost as good as the Sears?

I am not sure if I should take the money and put it toward other
tools, keep the saw for myself or sell it to someone else. Please let
me know your opinion on the saw and what I should do.

Thanks.