John Hines

(coolneo) wrote:

Hi,

I'm reading up on some plumbing work I'm considering doing myself. I
have galvanized pipes throughout my house. I want to put in copper for
the new supply lines I want to install. I understand a Dielectric
union will allow me to "join" the copper with the galvanized iron and
protect from corrosion.

Great.

Continuing my reading I read someplace that since most older homes are
grounded to the plumbing the addition of a dielectic union will undo
the grounding.

Put a clamp on the old work, and a clamp on the new work, and run a
heavy gauge wire between the two clamps, to jump the union,
electrically.

This is identical to what is done for water meters to insure ground
conductivity.

This would work if you put in a short plastic piece, or something like a
water filter, which is plastic.