jakdedert

mark wrote:
The guitar has two volumes, two tone dials and one toggle switch.
The toggle switch and dials look like the ones on this guitar:
http://www.albinhagstrom.se/hagstrom_h_ii_n.htm

The volume on my guitar cuts off after I go below 5 on the bottom
volume dial.

When I turn both volume dials on maximum: both pickups play when the
toggle is either in the middle or pushed up position; when the toggle
is pushed down only one of the pickups works.

When I turn off the bottom volume dial neither pickup works
regardless of the toggle position.

When I have the bottom volume dial on max and the top volume dial
off: it only plays one of the pickups and only when I push the
toggle switch down ; when the
toggle is in the middle or top position there's no sound.

I was told from the guy I bought the guitar from that the problem was
with the 500k pots; he recommended that I replace them with 250k pots.

Anyone have any suggestions and advice on how to fix the problem?

You've reposted this, so I assume you are still having problems. I'm not a
'player' but have serviced the electrics on guitars back in the far-distant
past (in another lifetime); so I'll attempt to muddy the waters even further
than the rest of the advice you've already gotten.

IIRC, the pickup switch should select one pickup in top position, the other
pickup in the bottom position and *both* in the middle. You say yours is
different, plus you've gotten some info from the previous owner which
indicates that he is familiar with the 'guts' of the guitar. My guess is
that he's been inside there, and the guitar is no longer wired 'as stock.'
Many guitarists rewire their axes with 'custom' switch settings, according
to their preference: ie to put the pickups out of phase in one position...or
other variations. One way to verify the switch workings is to select
different positions, then touch the pickups with something magnetic (like a
loosened string)...listening for a 'thump' or 'clank' in the amp.

In any case, there are multitudinous links on the web (with diagrams!)
addressing guitar pickup wiring. My best advice is to take the strings off
the instrument, take the screws out of the pick guard, pull it out (gently!)
and *look* at it! Use one of the sites below to verify proper hookup.

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/c...ringresources/
http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/guitar.htm
http://www.lennonstudios.com/pickup.html

If none of these--or one of the other 21,300 resources resources pulled up
in a google search for "guitar pickup wiring"--are clear enough to guide you
toward a fix; then nothing anyone here can tell you will, either. If you
don't feel comfortable taking the instrument apart, there's also no way we
could help you.

jak

Thanks,
Mark