TeamCasa

On most of the can of Poly it says to re-coat within a 2 hour time frame.
More importantly, it also states that if you miss that window, you have to
wait 72 hours before sanding and recoating.

I wait the 72 hours, sand with 400 - 600 wet using mineral sprits as a
lubricant, dry, wipe with a clean lint-free towel dampened with mineral
sprits let dry then re-coat. I probably would not go to that much trouble
for a kitchen cabinet however. I would put on two or three coats all within
the 2 hour time frame. Let dry for a few days, touch up bad areas with 600
or 000 steel wool and spray(can) recoat.

Dave

wrote in message
Ok this is my first furniture piece so forgive my ignorance. I made
a kitchen island out of cherry and finished it with Olympic oil
based "Natural" stain (pretty much a clear stain)and then put on my
first coat of polyurethane. I am going to let that dry overnite, but
I hear several instructions on "sanding between coats". Does this
mean sanding with an orbital sander with what grit paper? something
like 600 grit? Also how many coats of polyurethane should I use?
thanks!!