Harry Bloomfield

Default Fluorescent lighting advice

On 05/02/2004 Paul Moore opined:-
Hello,

I've converted a room upstairs so that it can be used as a workshop by my
wife. She likes to do all sorts of arts and crafts, and I was wondering what
would be the best lighting to use in the room. The room itself is quite low,
about 2m20, and quite large, about 7m by 4.5m. I was thinking of fluorescent
lighting, but there seems to be a huge range of types and lighting colours
available.

The cheapest fitting and tubes are the 5 foot size (1500). For that
area I would be guessing at perhaps 4 x 5 foot to provide a reasonable
level of lighting, perhaps with additional lighting over working areas.
Perfectly symmetrical layouts do not necessarily provide the best
lighting pattern. No doubt others will disagree with the number. They
should be laid out side to side in line with your shoulders, when
working at the workbench. Even better is laid out at 45 deg, with the
near end of the fitting on your right, if right handed. Electronic
units are little more efficient than traditional ballast types and
traditional types do tend to cause a buzzing noise.

It might also be worth spending a little more to buy fitting which
direct the light straight down, hiding the tubes from your eyes. Clip
onto the tube covers used to be available to do this.

Ensure the switches are suitably rated for inductive type loads.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)