Fred the Red Shirt

MikeG wrote in message news.com...

1 - polyurethane is a varnish. Coating with a non poly varnish then
following with a poly varnish is redundant and unnecessary

There are polyurethane varnishes and there are water-based polyurethane
finishes that some prefer to NOT call varnishes becuase they are so
different from traditional varnishes.

That said, I don't argue with your conclusion.

3 - Since tung oil is meant to soak into the wood and varnish seals the
wood and forms a film finish over the wood putting the oil on top of the
varnish would be an exercise in futility.

Oddly enough I've been told some folks use oil over shellac and like the
results. I haven't tried it myself.

4 - Oil is an inappropriate finish for a surface that is going to have
heavy use.

Yes. The wood will get dirty from handling and be hard to clean.

--

FF