John Hines

(Stromer2) wrote:

2. Bore or tunnel out a new place for the line to go and push the line through
the tunnel. I have heard of this but do not know how practical it is.

Quite practical. They dig down to the b-box (water main), and jack
hammer a hole in the basement floor.

Direct boring, they will push steel rods from the street, until it
reaches the hole in the basement floor.

They connect up flexible copper tubing (1" in my case) and then pull
back, to pull the tubing all the way back to the street.

Connect up both ends, and your done. Was about $4K if my faulty memory
serves me, the village paid for it, as it was part of the water main
replacement. The basement floor gets concreted back up, new meter added,
new shutoff valves, etc.

Almost no excavations are done in my area anymore, all the large
plumbers have their own boring machine.