Alex Feldman

Couple of thoughts:

The jointer, or at least all those I have seen (I wonder if this will
be one of those why-didn't-I-think-of-that innovations a few years
down the road) has knives that cut perpindicular to the grain, with no
shear at all. Depending on the pattern, saw blades can have at least
a little shear, which should make for a cleaner cut.

Sawblades are usually carbide, jointer knives usually steel. The
steel knives can be sharper at the outset, but will get dull quickly
and then not be as clean.

Usually, the saw blade is going right through the wood, possibly
flexing slightly and marring the cut. I usually have my jointer set
to a depth of 1/64" or less - at that depth, there is never any
tearout, and even with old knives I get a very clean edge.

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
TeamCasa wrote:
I believe that if all of the equipment is setup properly, all blades are
quality ones, sharp and the procedures are sound, a jointer will still
render a better quality surface than a tablesaw time and time again.

Thoughts?

In theory yes but I can usually count on some tear out with
the jointer whereas the table saw delivers me a glue ready
edge without tear out.

UA100