The Natural Philosopher

Default jointing oil fittings

Huge wrote:

(N. Thornton) writes:

(Stanley Spanner) wrote in message . com...

Also: it's a gravity feed system and it'd be easier to arrange the
pipework with a rise & fall to accomodate the filter and a butterfly
valve, as below:

________
| |
| tank |
|________|--- ___________
| ___?_ | |
| | | | |
-------------------------- ---| appliance |
|___________|

Should I have an air bleed at a high point in the pipework? (the point
marked ?)
Or should I try not to have a fall at all (do-able, but awkward).

I believe that would be fine as youve drawn it. All that matters to
the oil is the relative heights of start and finish, and length of
pipe. Sharp bends would add more resistance to flow. As long as your
high point is below the top of the oil in the tank there is no
problem.

Just so long as the rise in the pipe does not go above the level of
the oil in the tank, in which case you will have to suck/blow the oil
through initially, and you are asking for air-locks.

I repeat, common sense is on your side, bitter experience - or rather
diesel tasting experience, is on mine. On a long run, any uphill run is
a problem, no matter what the final height is. Once full of oil, both my
pipes ran freely under gravity, and no point in the pipe was above the
final outflow point. BOTH refused to flow with air in the pipes. I do
not understand this either.