Charlie Self

Barry responds:

More specifically, what have you
guys seen or been impressed with when you went from a blade you were very
please with to a Forrest or another named blade?

In my experience a Freud, better DeWalt, etc... ($50-$60), and a
Forrest, Systematic, or other "pro shop" blade ($100+), all start out
cutting very nicely. A few hours of cutting later is when the
difference becomes apparent. The $50 blade is still cutting OK, the
better blade is still sweeeet!

Sometimes, all it takes is one very difficult board to show the
difference. Woods that are prone to chip out or burning can magnify
the difference.

I actually lived in the same camp as you, until I finally broke down
and bought a WWII. FWIW, my local fine woodworking school prefers
Systematic and Ridge Carbide blades over Forrest, and he's got them
all.

My experience, too, but with Freud 410 blades instead of Forrest.

Anyone looking for SystiMatic blades: I wish you better luck than I had. They
seem to have been bought by Simonds and turned into a sawmill brand with
replaceable teeth.

Charlie Self
"There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other
is pulling up." Booker T. Washington