Ba r r y

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:36:30 GMT, wrote:

Ok this is my first furniture piece so forgive my ignorance. I made
a kitchen island out of cherry and finished it with Olympic oil
based "Natural" stain (pretty much a clear stain)and then put on my
first coat of polyurethane. I am going to let that dry overnite, but
I hear several instructions on "sanding between coats". Does this
mean sanding with an orbital sander with what grit paper? something
like 600 grit? Also how many coats of polyurethane should I use?
thanks!!

Poly usually has a "window" for recoating. If you recoat before this
window ends, usually 4-6 hours, you don't need to sand. If you miss
it, you'll need to wait 24 hours, and scuff sand before recoating.

To me, "scuff sand" usually means 320 grit, using hand blocks and
tadpoles. I might carefully hand sand with 220 if there are large
dust nibs or brush marks to be removed. If the finish "pills" on the
paper, which is small balls of finish appearing on the paper vs. a
clean dust, wait longer to sand.

As for number of coats, it depends on the look you're after. Thinned
poly, wiped on, may need 4-6+ coats. Brushed on, full strength stuff
may only need two. Too much usually makes for an artificial look, too
little may leave uneven spots.

Wiping on usually makes for a much more natural look. You can thin
standard oil-base poly 20-40% with mineral spirits to make it wipable.
Wipe it on with a clean piece of old t-shirt, which can be stored in a
jar or zip-lock for the duration of the project. If you wipe a coat
on every 4 hours or so, sanding will not be required.

It helps to make a scrap board and do EVERY finishing step, including
the same sanding sequence, to the board before the work piece. Write
every step on the back as you go. Problems will then show up on the
board before you're hard worked furniture.

Last comment: If you're looking for a satin finish, only use satin
poly for the last coat. Use gloss for the early coats. Satin and
semi-gloss clear finish include "flattening agents" that can cloud a
multi-coat finish. Gloss finishes build without killing clarity.

Barry