Simon

Terry Pinnell wrote in message . ..
We're just about to have carpets replaced, so I thought I'd take the
opportunity to see if I can stop the few patches of creaking
floorboards upstairs. Maybe it will become obvious that I need to
hammer in a few more nails in places. But assuming not, and if all
*looks* OK, is there some stuff I can spray or paint on that will help
please?

After trying all the suggestions to stop squeaking ...
The squeaks coming from mine were from the tongues and grooves
themselves. The wood was old, dry and warped with a curve across the
board. It was the movement of the tongue in the grooves that was
causing the squeak. I was fairly radical.
I sawed out the tongues completely and covered edges with gaffer tape
to stop the friction. It was remarkably effective, but of course
"ruined" the boards. But they were fairly bad anyway due to lifting
for re-wiring, central heating etc.
Simon.