Mary Fisher

"David J Rainey" wrote in message
t...

Hmm. Another instance where Fresh != Best.

I worked in a Pizza shop when I was a student, and the best Pizzas were
those that had had about 24 hours to 'prove' in the fridge. You'd take
them out and remove the tin seperator and, mmmm, the smell was like
uncorking a good bottle of wine. If we had a mad rush on and we needed
to make a second dough on the same shift, the resulting pizza tasted
like cardboard in comparison.

I've made almost all our own bread for 40 years and people come and love the
smell of baking. I believe they pump it into supermarket doorways to entice
people. But I hate it, I think it's the smell of spoiled alcohol which does
it.

But we never, ever, froze them. Evil incarnate.

When I make a batch of bread I always make some pizza bases and freeze them.
Bread of all kind is just as good as fresh if properly thawed.

The chip question is another matter. The F&C wholesalers sell chip whitener,
which is a sulphite I believe, to prevent the cut potatoes 'discolouring'.
The colour wouldn't matter and wouldn't be seen but 'purity' - even that
achieved by chemical additives - is the mantra.

It also means that the chips can be left lying around, uncooked, from one
day to the next.

When I worked in a Chinese restaurant I couldn't understand why the chips
stayed white from day to day. When I bought something from the F&C
wholesalers and was given a catalogue I understood.

I've never eaten commercial fish and chips since - the whitener isn't the
only undesirable nasty.

Mary

--
David J Rainey