Mike Marlow

wrote in message
Ok this is my first furniture piece so forgive my ignorance. I made
a kitchen island out of cherry and finished it with Olympic oil
based "Natural" stain (pretty much a clear stain)and then put on my
first coat of polyurethane. I am going to let that dry overnite, but
I hear several instructions on "sanding between coats". Does this
mean sanding with an orbital sander with what grit paper? something
like 600 grit? Also how many coats of polyurethane should I use?
thanks!!

Since poly does not normally go on with additional coats being applied over
tacked coats - you put coats on over dried coats, you will want to simply
scruff the surface for adhesion and smooth spreading. Steel wool, 3M pads
or sandpaper ranging from around 320 grit on up will work. All you are
looking to do is break the glaze on the dried coat for the new coat to
adhere to. While you're at it, know down any dust nibs.

If you're spraying it then experiment with spraying additional coats over
tacked up coats. Obviously, you would not sand between coats since the
tacked up coats will not sand very well. Smear would be more like it. I've
had mixed success with spraying poly so I generally just brush it with a
light rub down between coats.
--

-Mike-