Michael Baglio

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:20:52 -0700, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

In a separate thread, a discussion has evolved to discussing the difference
between the quality of a surface prepared by a jointer and that of a rip
from a tablesaw.

I believe that if all of the equipment is setup properly, all blades are
quality ones, sharp and the procedures are sound, a jointer will still
render a better quality surface than a tablesaw time and time again.

Thoughts?

Why certainly, Dave, of _course_ I have thoughts....

The foremost one being: Isn't it a bit odd that no one has yet
defined-- in this or the previous thread-- what is _exactly_ meant by
the phrase "prepared" surface?

Are they (you) referring to the actual glued surfaces OR the
_glue_line_ that will be visible on the (say) tabletop _after_
glue-up?

If it's the former, there is no difference between the two in any
_real_ sense. You could rip a board with a handsaw, true it up by
holding both boards together and rubbing the edges on the sidewalk and
get a glued joint that would hold up longer under stress than the
surrounding wood. So from that perspective, it's a draw. Either
properly setup machine will outperform the necessary requirements for
a successful result. Of course, the glue line will _look_ like ****,
but...

If it's the latter, and it's an almost invisible glue line that you're
after, then there is no discernable difference between the two either.
Given properly set up equipment of either type, once the boards have
been glued, the "scallops" (man, that's going some, ain't it?) that
are left by the jointer are too small to be seen and the edge left by
a great blade in a good saw is going to be... perfect. So from
that perspective it's a draw, too.

I've done both. Darned if I can tell the difference. So;

Either case, it's a draw. Can we get back to sumpin' important now,
like how much Kerry sucks? (I just threw that in 'cause Charlie's
reading this thread.)

Once again, passionate woodworkers pondering questions one would
expect to see only on the rec.rolex.escapements.precision.machining
newsgroup.(1)

God, I _love_ this place. It's full of people even more anal than I
am. ;

Michael Baglio

(1) Yeah, I made that up.