PaPaPeng

Default 3HP Toro engine start

Its snowing and there's 6 inches on the sidewalk with more to come.
As usual its a bitch to try to start the gas powered snowblower at the
start of the season. Its a 3hp Toro with the fiber auger, a small
model but ideal for what I want to do.

Cleaning the spark plug didn't solve the problem. So I used a paint
stripper to heat up the cylinder block since I already had the front
panel off to reach the spark plug. It started and spat out a lot of
smoke, cleared all the excess fuel and perhaps last season's stuff as
well. Did my snow clearing and the blower ran for 30 minutes without
trouble and ran with a clean exhaust.

Its just below freezing now and sometime later in the season the
temperature can drop to minus 20 or minus 30 deg C and I will have a
problem starting the motor again. Last year I took in into the house
to warm it up and of course there is a wet mess on the landing I would
like to avoid this season.

My solution is to take advantage of the 3/4 inch restrictor nozzle
attachment that came with the paint stripper to heat the engine block
without having to unscrew the metal control panel. So I eyeballed a
position over the engine block top, but away from the spak plug rubber
cable, and drilled an enlarged 3/4 inch hole that will let this heater
nozzle snuck into the hole. So far it looks pretty good. I'll let
the snow blower freeze as usual and try out my hot restart for the
next job.