TURTLE

"B" wrote in message
. com...
In terms of color, texture, and cost, please compare and contrast the
concrete that comes in a bag with the ready-mixed concrete from a truck. I
want to add a 4 square yard extension to an existing driveway that was
poured by the ready-mix truck. Thx. -B

This is Turtle.

Small job , the bag stuff is cheaper but you mixing it and you deciding on the
moisture level to pour at , The Curing rate of the bag stuff, and just plain
having the right mix for the weather and climate of your area. The Cement
Company have it down to a Tee on mix types, moisture at the time of pour for
weather and climate of your area, and everything is just plain RIGHT for the
pour. You can't beat the Cement company for quality. I have had to get cement
poured 3 or 4 times in the last few years and I would have to bite my tongue and
pry out my bilfold with a craw bar and get it mixed right the first time by the
Cement companys to come pour it. Now I form it and set everything up myself but
get them to get the mix right the first time. I have seen a bunch of crumbly
slabs in the past but not one was bought from a Cement company that was used. I
have a Friend of mine that live by me that poured a 24' X 24' slab out back of
his house and used Bag cement and he regreets it everysince. The bag stuff
requires rebar or screening to stop it from cracking and if you use the Concrete
companys they can bring you fibre concrete or Fibrecrete where you don't need no
screening or rebar at all. It lets the concrete dry even and moisture stays
where it should be without you working with it. The Bag Concrete was so ruff and
crumble that he had to build a Cypress board decking to cover it up and the
decking material cost alone was more than the concrete from a company would
cost.

Also if your going to pour a slab you expect to last a 100+ years , I would get
the concrete companys to pour the good stuff and leave the bag stuff for some
fellow to regreet it for years to come.

TURTLE