Harvey Van Sickle

On 18 Oct 2004, raden wrote
In message , Set Square
writes

-snip-

There is also a technique required to slightly over-tighten each
string, and then ease off a bit so that pin friction is on your
side when it comes to holding the tune.

Yes, you should do this with any stringed instrument. To be
honest, I didn't find it to be much of a problem. I expect it
depends on the quality of the wood the pin is set into

As an aside, this applies to almost any fine-tuning of any mechanical
device.

Offhand, I can't think of any case where the standard practice isn't to
move a control just beyond the desired point, and then to bring it back
to where it should be.

--
Cheers,
Harvey