nightjar

"MM" wrote in message
My buyer is obviously very keen, as he has already ordered the
surveyor for tomorrow morning 8:30 am!

Either that, or he does not know whether the mortgage company will approve
the loan and wants to get an answer as soon as possible.

I intend in the next day or two to view some properties in my selected
area. As one of them has already had considerable interest expressed
in it (allegedly!), would I be being stupid by putting in an offer as
soon as I have seen it? Or should I wait until my buyer's surveyor has
reported back?

Does an offer have to be in writing at the first instance or can I
confirm in writing on my return? How will the estate agent of the
target property know that I am genuine?

He will know you are genuine when you put down the 10% deposit. Until then,
you are simply a potential buyer - creatures who come and go without
discernable rhyme or reason. However, if you particularly want a property,
offering the asking price tends to focus the seller's attention. They don't
expect to get that much for it and it usually puts you ahead of the
competition.

Colin Bignell