Carlos Moreno

TeamCasa wrote:
In a separate thread, a discussion has evolved to discussing the difference
between the quality of a surface prepared by a jointer and that of a rip
from a tablesaw.

I believe that if all of the equipment is setup properly, all blades are
quality ones, sharp and the procedures are sound, a jointer will still
render a better quality surface than a tablesaw time and time again.

Thoughts?

Intuitively, it feels like the jointer should win even in the
best conditions for the tablesaw. Each cut of the jointer is
done by one blade which is a straight line moving to form a
cylinder. You now concatenate very close cylinder surfaces,
so the finish should be very smooth.

With the tablesaw, you achieve the cut plane surface by
concatenating parallel circular lines -- if you move the
wood too fast, it would tend to form grooves (you would have
a surface akin to an old vinyl record -- an LP). If you
move it slowly, it's better, but it still sounds like the
surface should be more irregular than in the other case.

I'm no expert, BTW, but this is what my intuition tells me.

Carlos