Michael Baugh

Maybe you can tell why, nowadays, a 10' dish for TVRO?

Gary Coffman wrote in message

The overturning moment on medium to large size dishes is very
high in even moderate winds. My big dish needs a mount capable
of withstanding over 250,000 foot-pounds in a 50 MPH wind.
You need a well engineered reinforced concrete base to withstand
the forces, and a heavy enough pole to avoid bending under the
load.

BTW, as a source of pipe for the pole, I'm using 6 inch oilfield well
casing, aquired as free scrap from a friend in the business, for my
small dish. The pedestal mount for the larger dish was custom
fabricated by Scientific Atlanta, and came with the dish. There's
7 yards of concrete in the base.

Gary