MikeG

In article ,
says...

I have never use tung oil (mainly due cost) on all my projects,
instead I use varnish than finished it with as many coats (sanded
between each coating) of polyurethane as needed to get good finished.
However, if for example I need to finish a heavy use, long-lasting
cabinet door knob, shall I first varnish it, sanded and finished it
with as many coats of tung oil?

Please advice and thanking all in advance for replying.

I suspect a troll, no one can accidently get that many things turned
around, but, just in case.

1 - polyurethane is a varnish. Coating with a non poly varnish then
following with a poly varnish is redundant and unnecessary

2 - Tung oil is an oil finish. It is not meant to build but to soak into
the wood and form a low luster natural look to the wood.

3 - Since tung oil is meant to soak into the wood and varnish seals the
wood and forms a film finish over the wood putting the oil on top of the
varnish would be an exercise in futility.

4 - Oil is an inappropriate finish for a surface that is going to have
heavy use.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods