David J Rainey

In article ,
says...

For good chips you need good potatoes and good hot oil or fat - depending
on preference. Fat will give the most taste.

I've heard it said success with chips also depends on how long the potatoes
have been stored. Something to do with the starch changing over time. My
research so far has been inconclusive except in so far as to note that chips
made with new potatoes, when the first large new potatoes come available,
aren't much cop.

Hmm. Another instance where Fresh != Best.

I worked in a Pizza shop when I was a student, and the best Pizzas were
those that had had about 24 hours to 'prove' in the fridge. You'd take
them out and remove the tin seperator and, mmmm, the smell was like
uncorking a good bottle of wine. If we had a mad rush on and we needed
to make a second dough on the same shift, the resulting pizza tasted
like cardboard in comparison.

But we never, ever, froze them. Evil incarnate.

--
David J Rainey