Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
On 18 Oct 2004 08:15:01 -0700, (DIY Novice) wrote:

We're getting a new kitchen fitted next week and still haven't bought
any lights for under the kitchen wall units. Is there anything I
should be looking out for? I've heard some get really hot and cook any
food in the wall unit! Can I get what I want from B&Q/Wickes? We've
only got 3 wall units but would like them to light up a slightly
larger worktop area.
Where do you put the switch for turning them on?

Unfortunately any of the 20W halogen lamps (a typical choice) will
cause a lot of warming of the cupboards

High frequency small fluorescent fittings (e.g. made by Hera) are a
very good choice and produce little heating of the cupboards.
There is also no flicker from them

As long as you also use some halogen or tungsten lighting in the room,
you won't get the bilious effect of fluorescent tubes.

CPC do the Omicron range with 2700K tubes which will mix well
with tungsten lighting. These are available with or without
integral switches. Maplin also do one size from the range.

B&Q's ones are a higher colour temperature which will not
mix well with filament lamps. They would be OK if the rest
of the kitchen is fluorescent lighting of the same colour,
and quite brightly lit.

I have just tried using one of the new T5 (5/8" diameter)
tubes under a row of cupboards. I used the 35W (longest) one
with remote electronic control gear (from Farnell). It's
quite bright for this application (maybe too bright). It
spans nearly 3 600mm units, and is mounted on the rear of
the pelmet with terry clips and spacers.

When I've redone kitchens, I include provision for switching
the under-cupboard lamps at the doorway, as with the rest of
the lighting. I provide lighting points in the wall such that
they will be just under the cupboards, using the Klik architrave
lighting sockets (available from any electrical wholesaler).
Then it's a simple matter of wiring the klik plug onto whatever
lighting you choose.

--
Andrew Gabriel