ianto

Your description of the wiring is correct; pickup connected to one end
of the volume pot, the other end connected to ground and the output
taken from the wiper. The fact that you think this is 'wrong' suggests
that you have not worked on many older, unmodified, two pickup
Gibsons. This arrangement is a documented factory setup used on many
Gibson models. My Gibson - 1976, two pickup, Les Paul, single owner -
is wired this way. Many people were not satisfied with this wiring
system and as a result several modifications have been published over
the years.
If you read the original post you will see that some of the
symptoms shown by the poster's guitar are consistent with it being
wired like a Gibson.

Mike Capel

capel AT mb DOT sympatico DOT ca

On 18 Oct 2004 02:43:36 GMT, (JURB6006) wrote:

When both pickups are connected the
volume controls interact with each other and turning either of them to
minimum will cause both pickups to cut out: this is what happens on my
Gibson.

This should not happen. This would happen if the pickups were fed to the top of
the pots and the output came from the wiper. Fact is 99% of the electric
guitars I've seen (taken apart) had the pickup going to the wiper and the
output coming from the top of the pots. The end result is the same when they
are both all the way up, but this way there is not as much interaction at other
levels.

With the proper resistor at the output, it can yield a nice fairly logarythmic
(sic) response.

Basically this is current mixing, the only purpose of the bottom end of the pot
is to shut it up when you turn it down. Pretty hard to design a pot that would
go smoothly to infinity, and you wouldn't want to either.

I'll lay you 2 to 9 that your guitar is wired wrong.

JURB