Dave M.

That's "SCR"

Dave M.

"Dave M." wrote in message

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Last I checked, farming existed in all of the parts
of the UK, why not just buy a small fence charger?

They can be had for $50USD or so for a cheapy that will
easily do the job.

I once fixed a couple of them. They are a HV low current autotransformer.

An
SRC is fired by way of the gate by a neon lamp, the other side of which is
connected to the AC line to drive the transformer primary. One was an

AGWAY.

Dave M.

Roy Hammond wrote:
Anybody any design ideas for a high-voltage generator for an electric

fence
to deter (not kill - that's illegal in the UK) badgers from entering

my
garden and digging up the lawns?

I've toyed with adapting either a boiler/gas oven ignition system or a

car
ignition system ...? But I'm lost as to determining what would be safe

and
how to measure the voltage (kV), current (mA) and energy (Joules)

available.

Any ideas or experience welcome...
-Roy-
(Surrey, England)