John Davies

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:03:49 +0000 (UTC),
(Jonathan Kamens) wrote:

Every time we cook something in the broiler, every smoke
detector in our house goes off. I'm talking detectors on the
first floor in the foyer next to the kitchen, up the stairs
in the second-floor hallway, and up the second flight of
stairs in the attic.

SNIP

Is there any decent solution to this problem? Is there a
smoke / fire / heat detector on the market which is good
enough to detect a real fire soon enough to give good warning
without going off every time we cook dinner?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Are the detectors wired together with a/c power? In other words, when
you test one, do all the detectors sound off? This is code in my state
for new installations.

It only takes one bad or overly sensitive detector to trigger them
all. It isn't uncommon when you have 6 or 8 detectors to have a bad
one. I had to have one replaced in my newly built home when it started
going off for no reason whatsoever. It is VERY irriitating to have ALL
the detectors screaming repeatedly in the middle of the night!

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450