George

Even earlier. Denarius, a Roman penny.

I've heard two stories, one that they were so many pence per hundred, the
other that they weighed so many pounds per hundred. Of the two, the first
sounds more likely.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Greg G. wrote:

guitarpick said:

i've always been curious to know how the sizing of nails in hardware
stores came about. hopefully you tool experts can help me out. who
came up with the system, where did it come about, when, etc. thanks.

The system of 16d, 8d etc was based on the cost of the nails.
16 penny, 8 penney was later replaced with d.
Exactly when, I'm not sure, but I think it was sometime in the late
1800s in the USA.

FWIW,

Greg G.

'd' was the British symbol for penny. I think it was much earlier than the
late 1800s. May even have been as early as 16th century?