Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

I really do suggest that you have a go yourself, if the keys are at
different heights, it sounds like you can't do much more damage than
already exists

There are lots of books about tuning and overhauling pianos. Have a
look in your local Library.

I'll certainly think about it. Time is at a premium, however, and I'm
not particularly musical myself. It would certainly require some
electronic help.

Christian.

The mechanical bits - like levelling the keyboard and adjusting the action -
shouldn't be too difficult. Tuning is another matter though! I suspect that
its one of those things like plastering - where you have to do a *lot* of it
to become any good. There is certainly a black art in getting an
equi-tempered scale, including getting the right beat frequency between
harmonics. There is also a technique required to slightly over-tighten each
string, and then ease off a bit so that pin friction is on your side when it
comes to holding the tune. Then there's the practice of tuning the top end
notes slightly sharp so that they *sound* right!

I think that there are electronic frequency generators which may help with
some of this - but I suspect that *proper* piano tuners don't use them.
--
Cheers,
Set Square