Prometheus

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:29:03 -0400, Carlos Moreno
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

Do not, repeat _not_ try to use a drill bit in a router.

What you could try is plunging as deep as you can with the router then use
that hole to guide a regular drill bit of the same diameter used with your
regular drill. If you need a larger hole you can then use the one you just
drilled as a pilot hole.

Thanks John, and thanks to all that replied!

No, don't think my IQ is that low :-)

A follow-up question, at the risk of sounding dense/dumb...
It's just that now I'm a bit curious about it.

From the answers I got, I kind of sense that the two main
problems are the speed (drill bits are not made to go at
such high speeds as router bits), and the fact that fixing
the bit to the router head, when it doesn't fit naturally,
is asking for trouble.

My (follow-up) question is: if I set my router at lowest
speed (which I believe is 8000rpm; it's a Bosch 1617EVSPK)
*AND* the drill bit has a 1/4 shank that fits perfectly in
the router head, is it ok in that case? Or is 8000 rpm
still too much for the drill bit?

I don't know, but I do most of my drilling at 620 rpm. That's the
lowest setting my my drill press, but even the highest setting is
still considerably less than 1/2 the 8000 rpm speed. At the very
least, you are going to destroy the bits if you try this with hardwood
or metal, and it's fairly likely that the bit might splinter into
shrapnel and kill you. You might 'get away' with it once or twice
using it on something very, very soft, but you're asking for a lot of
trouble even then, IMO.

Another thing to consider is that an average drill bit is going to be
sticking out further than your plunge router base, so you're not
really gaining much of an advantage that I can see. Why not just get
the drill jig, or a couple of machinist squares to line up the bit?

Any other aspects in which I would be asking for trouble?

I clarify that I very clearly understand the notion of
"DO NOT attempt this" and that I will NOT be attempting
any of these tricks without having LOTS of evidence that it
should be safe enough (a bunch of replies from the experts
out there telling me that under such and such conditions is
safe would be considered enough evidence :-))

Once again, thanks all for your advice and your concern!!
I promise I'll be a good boy and behave myself and keep
safety in mind! (FWIW, I'm the kind of person that doesn't
carry *any* solid object in my car without restraining it
with the seatbelt... What I'm trying to say is that trust
me, you're preaching to the choir with your emphatic advice
regarding safety issues :-))

Cheers,

Carlos