Lobby Dosser

"Jolly" wrote:

"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
I am from the Detroit area. You would think that the personality you
all are describing would be unique. It is not! Why does it bother
them if

you
browse or if you say your are just looking? Many retail outfits LIVE
on that principle. As far as deals. About 30 years ago, I bought a
Teac

3340,
4 channel reel to reel tape recorder with 10 1/2 reels for $250 (as I
recall, it was worth about $1500). It was like new. In the same
pawn

shop
I saw items (microphones, tools, etc), as you all have pointed out,
higher than retail. I would sure like someone in the business to
explain this philosophy. It might help to explain some of the same
mentality I am

seeing
in the real estate business now.

I am a wood butcher who owns 3 pawnshops and I think I can answer one
of your questions. Most pawnbrokers - myself included- are
professional dilettantes who have a superficial knowledge in a variety
of areas. Some pawnbrokers have genuine expertise in a specific
subject but are woefully ignorant in most other areas. When I am on
the prowl for tools I always check other pawnshops first. I buy most
of my tools from a pawnshop in the next town - the man knows
everything about musical instruments and nothing about tools.
Sometimes the prices are too high and other times the prices are too
low. I will not educate the man about tools - I would be shutting off
one of my best sources.

Jolly

I have a friend who claims the health of the economy can be measured by
the quantity of Snap On tools in pawn shops.