Jolly

"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
I am from the Detroit area. You would think that the personality you all
are describing would be unique. It is not! Why does it bother them if

you
browse or if you say your are just looking? Many retail outfits LIVE on
that principle. As far as deals. About 30 years ago, I bought a Teac

3340,
4 channel reel to reel tape recorder with 10 1/2 reels for $250 (as I
recall, it was worth about $1500). It was like new. In the same pawn

shop
I saw items (microphones, tools, etc), as you all have pointed out, higher
than retail. I would sure like someone in the business to explain this
philosophy. It might help to explain some of the same mentality I am

seeing
in the real estate business now.

I am a wood butcher who owns 3 pawnshops and I think I can answer one of
your questions. Most pawnbrokers - myself included- are professional
dilettantes who have a superficial knowledge in a variety of areas. Some
pawnbrokers have genuine expertise in a specific subject but are woefully
ignorant in most other areas. When I am on the prowl for tools I always
check other pawnshops first. I buy most of my tools from a pawnshop in the
next town - the man knows everything about musical instruments and nothing
about tools. Sometimes the prices are too high and other times the prices
are too low. I will not educate the man about tools - I would be shutting
off one of my best sources.

Jolly