Silvan

Carlos Moreno wrote:

My (follow-up) question is: if I set my router at lowest
speed (which I believe is 8000rpm; it's a Bosch 1617EVSPK)
*AND* the drill bit has a 1/4 shank that fits perfectly in
the router head, is it ok in that case? Or is 8000 rpm
still too much for the drill bit?

I can't remember how fast my DP goes. A quick little online survey seems to
indicate 2500 RPM as a top speed is pretty standard, with a few going up to
3,000.

That's the maximum speed, and any speed/size chart will tell you that you
don't want to be spinning anything big at that speed. I don't have the
chart committed to memory, but I'd say the high end of my DP (drill press)
is only good for bits that are very much on the small side.

Spinning anything with a 1/4" shank at 3,000 RPM is probably not recommended
(won't swear to that absolutely; maybe in soft wood you could get away with
that) and you're talking about going almost double that. What do you
think?

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

Once again, thanks all for your advice and your concern!!
I promise I'll be a good boy and behave myself and keep

Best way to drill such a hole without a drill press, and without one of
those guide things, is the hardwood block someone already suggested. It's
not absolutely *perfect*, but if you only need a couple of holes, and if
you use a pretty thick piece of a good, hard wood, it works. That's how I
drilled the holes in my workbench. With a Forstner in a portable drill,
with no extra guide flummy. They're not perfect, but I wasn't trying that
hard for perfection.

If you can't find any other way to get a block of wood with a suitable hole,
maybe someone here can help you out. Where do you live? I have a vague
idea (because of your name, and because you said "press drill" instead of
"drill press") you might not live in one of the "usual" places, (US,
Canada, UK), so it might be a bit tricky mailing you some guide blocks,
depending on how hostile your country's government is toward ours. (I've
been there a time or two. Customs and agricultural protection laws can be
a PITA.) (No offense if you live in Wisconsin or something.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/