GTO69RA4

On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

"I may be wrong but I was taught years ago that the difference between
a live center and a dead center was whether there was power to it. A
center is a center. Calling a ball bearing center a "live" center, I
was taught is not correct. The headstock center is a live center, the
tailstock center is a dead center, ball bearings or not. Anybody have
a better take on this?"

I was hoping someone here might be able to answer this, I don't think
too many people browse the comments in old posts on my site so I
figured I would post it to the group.

Then if you don't mind I'll post the answer on my site or you could
post it there yourself:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/2004/09/130.html

Thanks,
Rob

I've never heard that usage. There are driving centers for woodworking, used in
the headstock. Live vs. dead is bearing-supported vs. solid.

GTO(John)