Please invert everything left of the @ to reply

Sorry: 40A load, not 200A. Corrected version follows, and thank you, John
G., for spotting my egregious error.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:00:25 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:
Are you sure about the 200 amp load? That's a big circuit for a portable
hot tub. Usually they are either 20 amp or 50 amp depending on the heater
John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Please invert everything left of the @ to reply"
wrote in message ...
I've just inherited a working 8' wide spa (AKA hot tub), fiberglass body
in a 2" foam-insulated wooden frame with an insulated lid, holding about 700
gallons. We're going to install this outside on what was a small
(non-reg.) basketball court, and put up a windbreak around it.

My county's building code requires a separate circuit to feed the 40A
240V draw of its control panel (AKA 'pack'), dual-stage pump and electrical
heater. Installing that circuit, and the new panel it would require (as
the existing panel can't handle it) will cost $2,400, as per two estimates
from reliable electricians.

A hot tub manufacturer's website estimates it will cost $380/year
a) to run the pump on low by timer to keep it clean,
b) to run the pump on high when we're in it, and
c) to heat it to the temp most folks like.
That assumes our electrical rate is at its current 8.4 cents per KWH.

Has anyone here reworked a similar hot tub for gas heat? Or, for solar?

Natural gas and LP gas are much less expensive to heat with here (our
electric utility is owned by Enron, happy, happy, joy, joy), and if I can
replumb it to use an on-demand heater,
http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/...204&ts=3006973
the heater would cost less than $800 and pay for itself in five years. It
also would reduce the size of the electrical install; I wouldn't need a
separate circuit and therefore would not need a new electrical panel.

I've also seen the Real Goods solar heating system. The Real Goods rep
said his Portland customers still need some heat in the coldest month or two,
but the rest of the time, no heat is required. This $1,900 (incl. motor
freight) system is said to be user-installable:

http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/...204&ts=1045209

It would be nice to use the existing control system ('pack') but those can
be had for $600

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/me...y _Code=Packs
and could allow us, with pump replacement, to go 110V completely:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/me...y _Code=pumps

So, your comments regarding converting this spa to solar with gas, or
gas-only, would be appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct

tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.